Re: [patch] SMP alternatives

From: Alan Cox
Date: Wed Nov 23 2005 - 11:49:01 EST

On Mer, 2005-11-23 at 17:39 +0100, Andi Kleen wrote:
> I much prefer the MSR bit too. Unfortunately it doesn't exist
> (or rather I bet it exists somewhere, just undocumented) on Intel
> systems.

The MSR bits will break things like ECC scrubbing however. That can be
addressed although the test patch I have just refuses to load EDAC if
the BIOS writers didn't follow the BIOS guidelines.

Certainly it would be cleaner and easier to save the MSR, scrub and put
it back than do the fixup magic. Some drivers would need auditing as
they seem to use locked ops or xchg (implicit lock) to lock with a PCI
DMA master.