Re: [patch] SMP alternatives

From: Alan Cox
Date: Wed Nov 23 2005 - 16:11:44 EST

On Mer, 2005-11-23 at 10:42 -0800, Linus Torvalds wrote:
> Of course, if it's in one of the low 12 bits of %cr3, there would have to
> be a "enable this bit" in %cr4 or something. Historically, you could write
> any crap in the low bits, I think.

There is a much much better way to do it than just user space and
without hitting cr3/cr4 - put "lock works" in the PAT and while we'll
have to add PAT support which we need to do anyway we would get a world
where on uniprocessor lock prefix only works on addresse targets we want
it to - ie pci_alloc_consistent() pages.

Alan