Re: [RFC: 2.6 patch] remove drivers/net/eepro100.c

From: Russell King
Date: Wed Nov 23 2005 - 17:24:25 EST

On Wed, Nov 23, 2005 at 10:15:48PM +0000, Russell King wrote:
> On Fri, Nov 18, 2005 at 11:12:28AM -0500, Jeff Garzik wrote:
> > Russell King wrote:

> > >Tt's the only driver which works correctly on ARM CPUs. e100 is
> > >basically buggy. This has been discussed here on lkml and more
> > >recently on linux-netdev. If anyone has any further questions
> > >please read the archives of those two lists.
> >
> > After reading the archives, one discovers the current status is:
> >
> > waiting on ARM folks to test e100
> >
> > Latest reference is public message-id <4371A373.6000308@xxxxxxxxx>,
> > which was CC'd to you.
> >
> > There is a patch in netdev-2.6.git#e100-sbit and in Andrew's -mm tree
> > that should solve the ARM problems, and finally allow us to kill
> > eepro100. But it's waiting for feedback...
>
> Well, I've run 2.6.15-rc2 on what I think was the ARM platform which
> exhibited the problem, but it doesn't show up. However, that's
> meaningless as it has been literally _years_ (4 or more) since the
> problem was reported. It's rather unsurprising that I can't reproduce
> it - I don't even know if I'm using the right processor module!

Additionally, looking back at my 30th June 2004 message, I don't
think I've even managed sufficient testing to make any claim of
working-ness or non-working-ness against either driver.

The test was merely a "did it successfully BOOTP" because I can't
get it to mount and run /sbin/init from the jffs2 rootfs which
2.5.70 was perfectly happy to earlier today. However, the
failure point seemed to be when NFS tried to use the card.

Whether that means I was or was not using BOOTP back in 2004...
your guess is as good as mine.

Anyway, that's the end of the issue as far as I'm concerned.

--
Russell King
maintainer of: 2.6 Serial core