Re: psmouse unusable in -mm series (was: 2.6.15-rc1-mm2 unsusable on DELL Inspiron 8200, 2.6.15-rc1 works fine)

From: Marc Koschewski
Date: Thu Nov 24 2005 - 03:41:06 EST

* Ed Tomlinson <tomlins@xxxxxxx> [2005-11-23 21:29:35 -0500]:

> On Wednesday 23 November 2005 14:57, Marc Koschewski wrote:
> > * Dmitry Torokhov <dtor_core@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> [2005-11-21 22:43:50 -0500]:

> > > Marc,
> > >
> > > Thank you for testing the patch. It proves that your mouse troubles
> > > were not caused by the patch I made so I am very happy. "No change"
> > > is the result I wanted to hear ;)
> > >

> > Dmitry,
> >
> > there's a bug report filed against Debian's udev. You can read it here:

> > The bug report, however, states that the problem is caused by udev under
> > all variants of kernel 2.6.15. I'm writing this mail while running
> > 2.6.15-rc1 and the mouse definitely works. Do you have any other hint?
> > Seems to me like the bug report is only half the truth...
>
> Marc,
>
> Are you, by some slim chance, manually loading mousedev ( via /etc/modules) or
> an init script? If so your mouse will work.

Hi Ed,

yes, I do load mousedev as well as psmouse in /etc/modules due to udev
no longer loading it. my problem, however, is _not_ that teh module
doesn't get loaded. It's the mouse pointer jumping all over the screen.
After some time (inactivity?) it calms down and is usable. Then, after
some minutes it again jumps wild all over the place, seems to click
stuff on it's own, and again calms down, ...

This problem shouldn't be udev related.

One note: the pointer seems to be in love with the corners of the
screen. It always goes there when it goes wild... ;)

Marc