Re: PI BUG with -rt13

From: david singleton
Date: Thu Nov 24 2005 - 23:58:11 EST

On Nov 24, 2005, at 12:32 PM, Dinakar Guniguntala wrote:

On Fri, Nov 25, 2005 at 01:56:37AM +0530, Dinakar Guniguntala wrote:
On Thu, Nov 24, 2005 at 03:57:34PM +0100, Ingo Molnar wrote:

* david singleton <dsingleton@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Sure. Attached is the locking fix patch. [...]

thanks, applied - it should show up in -rt15.

I just noticed with the above fix, Paul's testcase completely
hangs up and when killed I hit the BUG mentioned below.
Till -rt13, this testcase just ran to completion

Forgot to mention that I notice the same failure with -rt15 as well

Good news and bad news.

Good news. This test doesn't exercise the robust futex code.

Pthread mutexes that want priority queuing, priority inheritance and/or robustness
must have either the robust (PTHREAD_MUTEX_ROBUST_NP) attribute set
and/or the PTHREAD_PRIO_INHERIT attribute set at mutex creation time.

e.g.
pthread_mutexattr_setrobust_np (&mutex_attr, PTHREAD_MUTEX_ROBUST_NP);

pthread_mutexattr_setprotocol(&state->mutex_attr, PTHREAD_PRIO_INHERIT);

pthread_mutexes that don't have either of these attributes set on the pthread_mutex
will exercise the original futex code.

Now a question before the bad news, Are you in the OOM path when you
think the system is hung? What does 'top' say about freemem and available
and used swap space?

If you are not in the OOM path then the bad news is this looks like an SMP timer
problem.

David

-Dinakar