Re: [BUG linux-2.6.15-rc] process events connector - soft lockupdetected

From: Paul Jackson
Date: Fri Nov 25 2005 - 17:29:42 EST

Andrew wrote:
> I note that copy_process() also calls cpuset_fork() under
> write_lock_irq(&tasklist_lock) which is a) inefficient and b) forbidden
> according to the nice comment over task_lock().

Nice catch - thanks. It was (perhaps) only inefficient until recently, because
cpuset_fork() didn't do any locking - just an atomic cpuset counter increment.

But with the locking overhaul that went into Linus's tree Oct 31, 2005,
cpuset_fork() now takes task_lock(), to guard against cpuset.c attach_task()
invalidating the task->cpuset pointer as cpuset_fork is dereferencing it.

I will look into preparing a patch that moves cpuset_fork() outside the
write_lock_irq().

--
I won't rest till it's the best ...
Programmer, Linux Scalability