Re: linux-2.6.14.tar.bz2 permissions

From: Nish Aravamudan
Date: Sat Nov 26 2005 - 21:31:47 EST

On 11/26/05, David Brown <dmlb2000@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> > Thanks Nish, this is obviously the difference. I never compile anything as
> > root (pesky Makefiles rm -rf'ing things!).
>
> Yeah, but you still need to install stuff as root... unless you do
> weird stuff like installwatch or something.

Uh, untarring is the operation that needs to be non-root. So just have
a build user or some other non-root user do the untarring and building
(which is recommended by most anyways, IIRC). Then, as root (or via
sudo) make modules_install install.

On 11/26/05, David Brown <dmlb2000@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Yeah you can't very well compile and install a kernel without
> permissions to /boot ;)

Again, you pretty clearly can *compile* a kernel as boot. root is only
needed for install (and this is the division of tasks that I use and
recommend to others).

Thanks,
Nish