What are the general causes of frozen system?

From: Larry Finger
Date: Sat Nov 26 2005 - 21:44:55 EST

I am trying to help the bcm43xx project develop a driver for the Broadcom 43xx wireless chips, using my Linksys WPC54G card. Unfortunately, since the group got far enough to turn on RX DMA, my system has frozen whenever I load the driver. TX DMA was OK. It seems to correlate with the receipt of a beacon from my AP, but that cannot be proven. When the freeze happens, I cannot do anything more and have to power the system off.

What should I consider as a cause of the freeze? I have reviewed the code and do not find any obvious out-of-bounds memory references. I have tried various 'printk' statements, but none of them in the bottom-half interrupt routine make it to the logs. Are there any tricks that I should try?

Thanks,

Larry