Re: linux-2.6.14.tar.bz2 permissions

From: Willy Tarreau
Date: Sun Nov 27 2005 - 01:08:17 EST

On Sat, Nov 26, 2005 at 05:51:34PM -0800, David Brown wrote:
> > Maybe you are untarring as non-root and David is untarring as root?
>
> Yeah you can't very well compile and install a kernel without
> permissions to /boot ;)

I disagree with you David. It's been years since I last compiled a
kernel as root, and even longer without untarring it as root ! I have
/usr/src chmod g+w for group "linux" to which I belong. I untar new
kernels there, compile them, etc... as my own user. Then I only do:
$ sudo make modules_install
$ sudo cp arch/i386/boot/bzImage System.map .config /boot/<version>
$ sudo vi /etc/lilo.conf
$ sudo lilo

And it brings me real advantages : during all the compilation phase,
I can use everything I have in *my* environment, aliases, functions,
scripts, tools, etc... that I would not necessarily have as root.

Believe me, for no reason I would switch back to the old age when
I did all this as root !

Regards,
Willy