Re: linux-2.6.14.tar.bz2 permissions

From: Kyle Moffett
Date: Sun Nov 27 2005 - 09:39:04 EST

On Nov 27, 2005, at 05:57:00, Willy Tarreau wrote:
On Sun, Nov 27, 2005 at 01:22:26AM -0800, David Brown wrote:
I agree compiling the kernel as a non-root user is perfered but sometimes it doesn't happen that way...

Sudo generally helps here. It's even easy to put $SUDO in front of sensible commands in build scripts and have SUDO=${SUDO-sudo} at the beginning of the script.

Even nicer: On Debian there's a "make-kpkg" command for building or cross-compiling a kernel source tree and creating a debian package from the result, and it can use "fakeroot" for all of the intermediate steps. As a result, I can build a complete kernel package with "make-kpkg --rootcmd=fakeroot [...]" as an ordinary user, and then later install it as root with only one command: "dpkg - i linux-image-2.6.15-rc2_2.6.15-rc2-1_powerpc.deb".

Cheers,
Kyle Moffett