Re: PC speaker beeping on high CPU loads on an nForce2

From: Martin Drab
Date: Sun Nov 27 2005 - 12:55:55 EST

On Sun, 27 Nov 2005, Gene Heskett wrote:

> On Saturday 26 November 2005 22:23, Martin Drab wrote:
> >Hi,
> >
> >on an nForce2 system (GigaByte 7NNXP) when the CPU is under heavy load
> >(like during kernel compilation for instance, or any compilation of any
> >bigger project, for that matter), I hear some beeps comming out of the
> > PC speaker. It's like few short beeps per second for a while, then
> > silence for few seconds, then a beep here and there, and again, and so
> > on. It is quite strange. It happens ever since I remember (I mean in
> > kernel versions of course, I have the board for about 1.5 years). I've
> > just been kind of ignoring it until now. Does anybody else happen to
> > see the same symptoms? What could be the cause of this. Is it
> > something about timing? But how come the PC speaker gets kiced in,
> > while it's not being used at all (well, at least not intentionally)
> > for anything. Perhaps something is writing some ports it is not
> > supposed to?
> >
> >Martin
>
> Usually, thats a sign of cpu overheating. At 18 months, if the cpu
> fan/heat sink hasn't been blown out by an air hose, its so packed full
> of dust bunnies that no amount of rpms can force any air thru the cpu's
> heat sink fins.

No, it isn't a problem of dust or grease. It is a problem of a case full
of devices and bad airflow within it. (There's 6 HDDs, 8 PCI cards, an
AthlonXP 3200+ with massive Zalman CNPS6000-Cu on top of it and 10 fans
that are doing all they can running at maximum (with the noise of a
medium vacuum cleaner ;), trying to cool it all, but it just isn't
enough.) So I'll try to solve it by a water cooling.

I just didn't connect these sounds with the MB alarm. (Even though I know
that there is this kind of feature.)

However thanks for the advises anyway,
Martin