Re: capturing oopses

From: mgross
Date: Mon Nov 28 2005 - 11:20:38 EST

On Sunday 27 November 2005 20:41, Randy.Dunlap wrote:
> On Sat, 26 Nov 2005 21:33:58 +0200 Ville Herva wrote:
> > >
> > > Hi Folkert,

> > > yes, digicams have become a common tool for reporting Oops'es.
> >
> > Speaking of which, does anybody know a feasible (as in "not too much
> > harder than manually typing it in manually") way to OCR characters from
> > vga text mode screen captures - or even digican shots?
> >
> > The vga text mode captures are from a remote administration interface
> > (such as HP RILOE or vmware gsx console) so they are pixel perfect and
> > OCR should be doable. The digican shots on the other hand... Well at
> > least it would have hack value :).
> >
> > (My personal opinion is that Linus' unwillingness to include anything
> > like kmsgdump (http://www.xenotime.net/linux/kmsgdump/) is somewhat
> > unfortunate.)
>
> BTW, status of that: it needs a little work to be more reliable.
> (It hangs sometimes when switching from protected to real mode.)
> I'm hoping that some of the APIC/IOAPIC/PIC patches that are being
> done for kdump will also help kmsgdump. I'll be working more on it
> in the next few weeks/months.
>
> so yes, when it's working, it's very useful IMO.

You know some platforms that perserve the memory above some addresses across
warm boots. For such platforms, one could reserve a buffer in that area can
copy the sys log buffer to it on panic along with a bit pattern that could be
searched for upon the next boot.

Additionally some platforms have flash parts that could be used as a
persistant store for such data in the same manner. I've done this on an
XScale platform using an ancient (2.4.10) kernel. I've always thought it
would be a handy thing for the newer kernels for PC's, if we could come up
with a semi-platform independent way of identifying a few pages that would
survive a warm boot.

--mgross