totally random "VFS: Cannot open root device"

From: 0602@xxxxx
Date: Mon Nov 28 2005 - 15:51:27 EST

Hi!

(Please CC me your answers as I am not subscribed.)

I have a problem with 2.6.14.3 kernel (but this probably isn't too version-specific). I have a kernel which succesfully boots on totally random basis (cca 70% is success). My root partition resides on a SATA disc connected to a controller on Intel 6300ESB ICH southbridge (mb Intel se7320vp2). There is a reiserfs 3 filesystem on my root partition. Without any changes to configuration (os or bios or whatever) I sometimes get:

VFS: Cannot open root device "801" or unknown block(8,1)

Could this be some timeout issue, or indication of crappy hw? I've tried this about 10 times (immediately ctrl+alt+del on successfull boot or reset button on aforementioned panic) and I saw no regularities in this misbehaviour.

I sincerely appreciate any advice anyone can give.

Thanks,

r.