Re: cx88 totally fried in 2.6.15-rcX -was- Re: HD3000 - no NTSC viatuner

From: Gene Heskett
Date: Mon Nov 28 2005 - 21:29:21 EST

On Monday 28 November 2005 20:17, Michael Krufky wrote:
>Gene Heskett wrote:

>>>I know that this board uses a Thomson DDT 7610 tuner. I have a
>>>FusionHDTV3 Gold-T card that uses Thomson DDT 7611 tuner. I've seen
>>> a copy of the datasheet -- both tuners are the same.
>>>
>>>Now, here's my story: My card was working fine for a good long time,
>>>but ever since about 2 months ago, the analog tuner no longer works.
>>>ONLY the ATSC digital tuner is working. The tuner does NOT include a
>>>tda9887, AFAIK, and I have also tested in windows. Regardless of
>>>whether I am using Linux or Windows, I can only view an ATSC digital
>>>stream, NTSC analog no longer works at all. Both used to work in
>>> both OS's.
>>>
>>>AFAIK, this is a physical hardware problem, and has nothing to do
>>> with any bad coding. For the life of me, I cannot figure out what
>>> went wrong.
>>>
>>>-Mike
>>>
>>>Maybe Herman, or someone else, might be able to tell us what factors
>>>can burn out a hybrid tuner's analog capabilities, and leave digital
>>>tuning capabilities intact.
>>>
>>>Maybe the Thomson DDT 761x tuners are faulty?
>>>
>>>Can anybody enlighten us?
>>
>>Well, based on the note about -rc2-git6 having the v4l stuff reverted,
>>I just built it. Same song, same verse. The tuner acts as if the
>>antenna has been disconnected and held a fraction of an inch away.
>> The video is all digital noise (in VSB), and the audio has a fraction
>> of a word now and then, buried in white noise. As my dish receiver
>> has about a 65,000 u-volt output, I find that sort of signal loss
>> almost unbelievable.
>>
>>It still takes a cold reboot back to 2.6.14.3 or I think any earlier
>>kernel (that worked ok) in order to restore the cards normal
>> operation, I'm watching cnn on it right now after having done so.
>>
>>So to me, there is little difference between git3 and git6. Neither
>>works, failing in the same manner exactly, and matching the
>> performance of 15-rc2 as issued. I didn't build -rc1, so I can't say
>> exactly where the hose got cut.
>>
>>I'd suggest just blowing the v4l directory in the -rc2 kernel away,
>> and replacing it with that from 2.6.14.3 just to get back to a
>> working sitiuation that you can then start from scratch on. But
>> whatdoIknow? :)Gene Heskett <gene.heskett@xxxxxxxxxxx>
>
>EEK! This is not the problem that I'm having at all..... Then again,
> I have a different board.
>
>Gene, telling someone to revert all the v4l changes in 2.6.15 doesn't
>help us to fix the actual problem at all, nor will it help them use
>their hardware.
>
>Gene, I believe that I asked you to install the cvs modules against
>2.6.14, and you told me that doing that works.

No, I never did get it to work Michael, and I believe I said so, mainly
because it wouldn't even compile. ISTR I sent a message with the
compiler exit messages at the time.

Now I'd be willing to try it again, but I'd need exactly the proceedure
as it would apply to a working 2.6.14.x kernel. I don't think I did it
right the last time. My script, fwiw, renames one generation back so
that a bad kernel can be reverted easily by renameing the vmlinuz and
/lib/modules/version-number trees. Its kind of a swiss army knife in
that I comment/uncomment stuff in the buildit (thats another script I
use to apply then patches etc), but the makeit script only needs the
version number updated to match the Makefile and from there its a 'time
./makeit' till I'm done editing grub.conf & ready to reboot. I've taken
note that the recent makefiles apparently does its own depmod operation
when doing the modules_install but haven't taken my command out of it
yet so that gets done twice..

> The code in cvs
> contains all the patches that we have sent to 2.6.15 and THEN some.
> Can you please confirm that installing the cvs modules from v4l-dvb
> cvs (v4l and dvb have merged cvs repo's) against 2.6.14 is NOT
> broken?? This would rule out any possibility of the v4l changes in
> 2.6.15 being the cause of your problems.

See above.

>It is WELL established that there are memory errors in 2.6.15
> (although I thought they were all fixed -- guess not). I understand
> that you are using some MakeIt script to build your kernel -- have you
> tried the standard method?

My script does it essentially the same as one would do it by hand. The
exception being that I understand the Makefile now has an install target
for the kernel, but my script does the copying rather than calling that,
and *I* do the grub.conf editing.

>[...a few minutes go by...]
>
>OKAY, I concur -- When I did my testing for 2.6.15-rc2-git6, that was
>with my saa7134-based card, using nxt200x ... success!
>
>However, when I tried using my FusionHDTV3 Gold-T (cx88 card using
>lgdt3302), neither analog nor digital works in 2.6.15-rc2-git6....
>Under 2.6.13 (and 2.6.14, i think), however, digital DOES work. Analog
>still doesnt work, but i believe that my hardware is damaged.

He should do a full shutdown and cold boot to a kernel he knows works,
and I expect the analog will work again. Warm reboots DO NOT DO IT!

>SO, looks like we have a regression somewhere in the kernel that breaks
>the cx88 driver :-(
>
>I don't even know where to begin.
>

>...One idea... We also know that upstream changes created some compile
>warnings in tuner-core... Hans has fixed that in cvs -- maybe Hans'
>patch in v4l-dvb cvs could fix it? Gene, try installing v4l-dvb cvs
>against 2.6.15-rc2-git6 (or later) and see if that might fix NTSC.
>Somehow, I doubt it -- but it is certainly worth a try.

Like I said, complete instructions please so that we are on the same
page. I still have the rc2-git6 tree that didn't work, so as my script
does a make clean, it should be easy enough to do with the right
instructions. Like what dir in the kernel tree am I supposed to be in
when I issue the cvs checkout command etc.

--
Cheers, Gene
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)