Re: ide-cd doesn't replace ide-scsi?

From: Bill Davidsen
Date: Tue Nov 29 2005 - 09:44:50 EST

Luke-Jr wrote:
Note: results are with 2.6.13 (-gentoo-r4 + supermount) and 2.6.14 (-gentoo)
I've been struggling with burning DVD+R DL discs and upgrading the firmware on my DVD burner, and just today decided to rmmod ide-cd and try using ide-scsi. Turns out it works... so is ide-cd *supposed* to handle cases other than simple reading and burning or is this a bug? If not a bug, should ide-scsi really be marked as deprecated?
Also, two bugs with ide-scsi:
1. On loading the module, it detects and allocates 6 SCSI devices for a single DVD burner (Toshiba ODD-DVD SD-R5272); kernel log for this event attached
2. On attempted unloading of the module, rmmod says 'Killed' and the module stays put, corrupt. There was some kind of error in dmesg, but it appears to have avoided syslog-- If I see it again, I'll save it.

I think you may have the probe-all-LUNs set, and a CD burner which responds to more than one. That's one possible cause for this.

Unfortunately using ide-cd still doesn't have the code set to allow all burning features to work if you are not root. Even if you have read+write there's one command you need to do multi-session which is only allowed to root. Works fine for single sessions, I guess that's all someone uses.

Haven't tried unloading the module, so I have no advice on that other than "don't do that."
--
-bill davidsen (davidsen@xxxxxxx)