Re: Linux 2.6.15-rc3

From: Michael Krufky
Date: Tue Nov 29 2005 - 11:24:42 EST

Linus Torvalds wrote:

On Tue, 29 Nov 2005, Michael Krufky wrote:

Those memory problems affecting v4l/dvb seem to be fixed (for me) , and
everything seems to work, but I got this oops on bootup. This is the first
2.6.15-rcX kernel that I've installed on this particular box. 2.6.14 worked
fine.

Ok, Nick's obviously correct patch fixed that, but now I wonder what the _heck_ your bootup process does:

Process gdb (pid: 5628, threadinfo=f488e000 task=f7239a30)

what kind of _strange_ boot process has gdb in it?

Morbidly curious,

Linus

Linus-

Good point... I don't know what is going on there. That box is running a newly-installed debian sarge, with it's default startup scripts. I have done nothing to that system besides kernel testing and v4l / dvb testing and development.

The oops was showing up immediately before xorg opens with it's user-login box...

In other words, the OOPS is the last thing to show on the screen in text mode, before the console switches into X, using debian sarge's default bootup process.

I have no idea why gdb is running.... hmm... Anyhow, I'm away from that machine right now, and it is powered off, so I can't look directly at the startup scripts right now. Would you like me to send more info later on when I get home? If so, what would you like to see?

Cheers,

Michael Krufky