Re: Linux 2.6.15-rc3

From: Michael Krufky
Date: Tue Nov 29 2005 - 12:04:42 EST

Stephen Frost wrote:

* Linus Torvalds (torvalds@xxxxxxxx) wrote:

On Tue, 29 Nov 2005, Michael Krufky wrote:

In other words, the OOPS is the last thing to show on the screen in text mode,
before the console switches into X, using debian sarge's default bootup
process.

Ok. Whatever it is, I'm happy it is doing that, since it caused us to see the oops quickly. None of _my_ boxes do that, obviously (and I tested on x86, x86-64 and ppc64 exactly to get reasonable coverage of what different architectures might do - but none of the boxes are debian-based).

I'm pretty curious about it too, none of my debian-based boxes have
'gdb' anywhere in /etc/init.d. The only thing I see is that the shell
script /usr/bin/mozilla-firefox calls gdb when passed '--debugger', or
when the DEBUG environment variable is set... Perhaps he's doing that
during his .xsession?

I don't think that the .xsession can be involved, here..... The oops happens BEFORE user login, and firefox definately isn't loaded before logging in. ;-)

Anyhow, I forgot to mention that I am using the debian/testing sarge apt repository ... Once again, I have a purely default configuration, with the exception of the kernel. When I get home, I'll grep through my startup scripts... I'll let you guys know what I find.

Cheers,

Mike