Re: Linux 2.6.15-rc3

From: Helge Hafting
Date: Wed Nov 30 2005 - 03:56:59 EST

Linus Torvalds wrote:

On Tue, 29 Nov 2005, Helge Hafting wrote:

Can't open root dev "831" or unknown block(8,49)
Please append a correct root= boot option
unable to mount root fs from block(8,49)

Sounds like your SATA drive wasn't detected.

Please double-check that your config changes didn't disable it, but otherwise:

Now 2.6.14 works with exactly the same lilo.con,
where I have root=/dev/sdd1 (SATA drive)

please specify _which_ SATA driver you are using so that Jeff & co can try to figure out what broke since 2.6.14.

lspci says:
0000:00:0f.0 RAID bus controller: VIA Technologies, Inc. VIA VT6420 SATA RAID Controller (rev 80)

My .config has "VIA SATA support" selected under "SCSI low-level drivers"

Also, if you can pinpoint where it broke better, that probably helps (most sata changes were in -rc1, but there were some sata_mv and sata_sil4 changes in in -rc2 too, so even just poinpointing it to either of those will help, although the daily builds might be even better).

I tried compiling and booting rc1. The machine is remote, and did not
come up. So I don't know why it didn't come up, but it is likely
that it is the same problem.

Helge Hafting