Re: ide-cd doesn't replace ide-scsi?

From: Luke-Jr
Date: Wed Nov 30 2005 - 03:57:58 EST

On Tuesday 29 November 2005 15:23, Jens Axboe wrote:
> On Tue, Nov 29 2005, Bartlomiej Zolnierkiewicz wrote:
> > > Unfortunately using ide-cd still doesn't have the code set to allow all
> > > burning features to work if you are not root. Even if you have
> > > read+write there's one command you need to do multi-session which is
> > > only allowed to root. Works fine for single sessions, I guess that's
> > > all someone uses.
> >
> > Interesting because both drivers ide-cd and sr+ide-scsi use exactly
> > the same code (block/scsi_ioctl.c) to verify which commands don't
> > need root privileges. Care to give details?
>
> Not if he is using /dev/sgX with ide-scsi, only SG_IO through /dev/srX
> will go through the block/scsi_ioctl.c path.

Actually, growisofs refuses to work with anything but a block device-- so it's
using /dev/sr1. So apparently something else is up, since ide-cd errors, yet
ide-scsi does not.

Apparently, ide-scsi isn't working either though, just a different problem:
the burning *appears* to work (I get status info, and the drive seems to do
something), but the disc ends up unburned and empty. Has anyone successfully
burned a dual layer disc? I'm using a BenQ DW1620 drive.
--
Luke-Jr
Developer, Utopios