Re: totally random "VFS: Cannot open root device"

From: 0602@xxxxx
Date: Wed Nov 30 2005 - 08:05:47 EST

Hi,

(Please CC me your answers as I am not subscribed.)

Tejun Heo wrote:
[...]
Can you please post dmesg of a successful booting? That will tell us which SATA controller/disks you are using. Also, the boot log of a failed boot will be very helpful - the best way to get this is via serial console. If you don't have access to serial console, taking note / picture of the part where SATA detection fails will do too.

I've placed the dmesg and the picture of panic here: http://26143.eq.cz/

Also, when the machine boots successfully, does it work without generating disk related kernel logs? Just perform any IO-heavy operations - cp'ing directories which contain large files, tar/untarring... - and see if the kernel complains about anyting.

There are no signs of anything wrong in logs, all my IO tests passed ok.

Regards,

r.