Re: Better pagecache statistics ?

From: Badari Pulavarty
Date: Thu Dec 01 2005 - 11:23:00 EST

On Thu, 2005-12-01 at 17:10 +0100, Arjan van de Ven wrote:
> > Out of "Cached" value - to get details like
> >
> > <mmap> - xxx KB
> > <shared mem> - xxx KB
> > <text, data, bss, malloc, heap, stacks> - xxx KB
> > <filecache pages total> -- xxx KB
> > (filename1 or <dev>, <ino>) -- #of pages
> > (filename2 or <dev>, <ino>) -- #of pages
> >
> > This would be really powerful on understanding system better.
>
> to some extend it might be useful.
> I have a few concerns though
> 1) If we make these stats into an ABI then it becomes harder to change
> the architecture of the VM radically since such concepts may not even
> exist in the new architecture. As long as this is some sort of advisory,
> humans-only file I think this isn't too much of a big deal though.

ABI or API ? yuck. I am thinking more like a /proc/cachedetail like
thing (mostly for debug).

> 2) not all the concepts you mention really exist as far as the kernel is
> concerned. I mean.. a mmap file is file cache is .. etc.
> malloc/heap/stacks are also not differentiated too much and are mostly
> userspace policy (especially thread stacks).
>
> A split in
> * non-file backed
> - mapped once
> - mapped more than once
> * file backed
> - mapped at least once
> - not mapped
> I can see as being meaningful. Assigning meaning to it beyond this is
> dangerous; that is more an interpretation of the policy userspace
> happens to use for things and I think coding that into the kernel is a
> mistake.

You are right. I think, kernel should NOT try to distinguish more than
that. This would at least separate out most of the stuff anyway (with
few execeptions).

> Knowing which files are in memory how much is, as debug feature,
> potentially quite useful for VM hackers to see how well the various VM
> algorithms work. I'm concerned about the performance impact (eg you can
> do it only once a day or so, not every 10 seconds) and about how to get
> this data out in a consistent way (after all, spewing this amount of
> debug info will in itself impact the vm balances)

Yes. I am worried about that too. We do have "mapping->nrpages" to
represent how many of them are in cache. But getting to all mappings
(especially the ones we can't get to from any process - closed files)
and printing them is quite expensive and need to hold locks :(

Thanks,
Badari