Re: [patch 00/43] ktimer reworked

From: Roman Zippel
Date: Thu Dec 01 2005 - 11:52:12 EST

Hi,

On Thu, 1 Dec 2005, Ray Lee wrote:

> Actually, no you won't. The athlete will say "A timeout? Something out
> of the ordinary happened, and coach wants me to go to the sidelines to
> talk." Timeouts are unexpected and exceptional, whether you're an
> athlete or a piece of code. On the other hand, they have a timer that
> everyone *expects* to expire at the end of the quarter or game.

Please be precise, there is of course a common base, but it's not the
same. In sports a timeout is the actual event that interrupts something.
In code it's a time _period_ until an exceptional event. A timer delivers
an asynchronous event after a specified timeout, so they're always
"unexpected and exceptional". (You can of course constantly poll the timer
to make it a little less unexpected, but then you don't really need to set
a timer in first place.)

bye, Roman