Re: Gene's pcHDTV 3000 analog problem

From: Michael Krufky
Date: Thu Dec 01 2005 - 12:54:47 EST

Perry Gilfillan wrote:

I've been able to pinpoint the time when the v4l-dvb cvs failes for the pcHDTV 3000 tuner!!

This test is with gentoo-sources-2.6.13-r5, with v4l-dvb cvs. As Michael pointed out, 2.6.15 has bugs. For my hardware, 2.6.13, and 14 have major issues as well...

My procedure is to do a distclean in the v4l-dvb cvs directory, checkout the repository for the given date, make, and install. Then I inspect the /lib/modules/.../media/video dirtree to be sure no old ko files are lingering. I do a cold boot to be sure the hardware is fully initialized from a known state. After many iterations, I've narrowed it down to this change set:

cvs as of 2005-10-17 16:01:
Analog TV works, as well as composite and s-video.

Changes made at 2005-10-17 16:02: bROKEN!!

cvs as of 2005-10-17 16:10:
Analog failes, s-video and composite work.

I'll leave it to more capable persons to figure how it failed.

Hmm... These times of day don't coincide with any actual commits....

Anyhow, this was the day Hartmut added tda8275a support. It broke many things, which we thought that we had eventually fixed. Maybe there are still a few bugs as a result of this?

This is enough for me to put together a test patch for you, but I cant do it right now..... I'll try to email you an experimental patch tonight or tomorrow that will remove tda8275a support, just to confirm that this is in fact the problem.

If it turns out that I'm right, then we'll have to figure out a way to fix it, since reverting Hartmut's patch is NOT an option.

Thanks for the testing!

-Mike