Re: [discuss] Re: [Perfctr-devel] Re: Enabling RDPMC in user space by default

From: Stephane Eranian
Date: Thu Dec 01 2005 - 19:04:06 EST

Andi,

On Wed, Nov 30, 2005 at 05:23:15PM +0100, Andi Kleen wrote:
> > to count elapsed cycles while executing a ring 0 and ring 3. The watchdog
> > works by polling on the counter and after a certain delta is reached it
> > triggers an NMI interrupt which, in turn, causes a kernel crash and the
> > (bug) report. Is that the correct behavior?
>
> The watchdog is driven by the performance counter (this means
> it has varying frequency, but that's not a big issue for the watchdog)
>
> It underflows every second in the fastest case or very slowly
> (if the machine is idle). Every time it underflows it checks if
> the per CPU timer has been ticking, and if it hasn't for some time
> it triggers an oops.

How is the checking for underflows done? Polling?

> The obvious solution would be to set an underflow interrupt at 2^46 or so
> and then reset the counters. For that you would need to count down though.
>

> > Also are you sure that the PERFCTR0/PERFSEL0 are not affected when going
> > into lower power state? I know by experience that one IA-64, for instance,
> > the counters are seriously affected.
>
> They stop ticking in idle. Yes, that's ok if you just want to measure
> cycles because there are no cycles in idle.

Ok that makes sense.

> It's not ok for timing (wall clock time) purposes, but it's also not
> intended for that. If you want time use gettimeofday

I agree.

> They will also clock slower if the CPU is in a P state (runs with lower
> frequency), but for measurements that's also wanted and expected I believe.
> e.g with RDTSC on Intel right now if you are in a lower P state you will
> get wrong results.
>
> Basically it's a good cycle timer for instruction measurements and
> nothing more.

Yes, it requires pinning and also that nothing else can run
on the processor. This is very restrictive and I wonder if
this is really useable?

> Not ticking in idle actually helps with that because it makes
> it totally clear to everybody that it's not a wall clock :)

Yes, except that this is silently done. There needs to be a
STRONG warning about this somewhere.

--

-Stephane