Re: [discuss] Re: [patch 1/3] x86_64: Node local PDA -- early cpu_to_node

From: Ravikiran G Thirumalai
Date: Fri Dec 02 2005 - 17:51:29 EST

On Fri, Dec 02, 2005 at 12:43:49PM +0100, Andi Kleen wrote:
> > +#ifdef CONFIG_ACPI_NUMA
> > + /*
> > + * Setup cpu_to_node using the SRAT lapcis & ACPI MADT table
> > + * info.
> > + */
> > + for (i = 0; i < NR_CPUS; i++)
> > + cpu_to_node[i] = apicid_to_node[x86_cpu_to_apicid[i]];
> > +#endif
>
> This should be in a separate function in srat.c.

OK,

> And are you sure it will work with k8topology.c. Doesn't look like
> that to me.

I don't have a K8 box yet :(, so I cannot confirm either ways.
But I thought newer opterons need to use ACPI_NUMA instead...

<Kconfig quote>
config K8_NUMA
bool "Old style AMD Opteron NUMA detection"
depends on NUMA
default y
help
Enable K8 NUMA node topology detection. You should say Y here if
you have a multi processor AMD K8 system. This uses an old
method to read the NUMA configurtion directly from the builtin
Northbridge of Opteron. It is recommended to use X86_64_ACPI_NUMA
instead, which also takes priority if both are compiled in.
</quote>

Even if K8 detection is used, cpu_pda will have memory allocated from node0
which is not different from the current state. So this patch helps Opterons
and EM64t boxes which use ACPI_NUMA, right? Also the newer opteron boxes
and em64t NUMA boxes can now get node local memory for static per-cpu areas.

Thanks,
Kiran