Re: RFC: Starting a stable kernel series off the 2.6 kernel

From: Greg KH
Date: Sat Dec 03 2005 - 17:26:11 EST

On Sat, Dec 03, 2005 at 10:53:18PM +0100, M. wrote:
> from the kernel.org point of view it does make sense but from users
> pov i think no. Users stuck with old drivers not actively mantained
> would benefit from this.

Any specific examples of this?

> There are some open drivers wrote by hardware mantainers which will
> never get into kernel.org cause of code not following kernel style
> guides and so on. Yeah, you should not buy poorly supported hardware
> and use bad drivers but a lot of new users have poorly supported
> hardware and a "more stable than usual and at fixed dates" release
> could enlower the skills barrier in approaching linux.

The skills barrier has _nothing_ to do with the release cycles.

And if you want to get a driver into the main tree, that isn't being
maintained, just get a piece of the hardware to a kernel developer,
along with the driver and it will be maintained. I know I've made that
offer many times in the past, and so has others.

thanks,

greg k-h