Re: Two module-init-

From: Rusty Russell
Date: Sun Dec 04 2005 - 05:41:17 EST

On Fri, 2005-12-02 at 23:28 -0500, Dmitry Torokhov wrote:
> On Friday 02 December 2005 23:19, Dmitry Torokhov wrote:
> > On Thursday 01 December 2005 19:12, Rusty Russell wrote:
> > > Meanwhile, as noone seems to use swbit in struct input_device_id,
> > > perhaps we can remove it for 2.6.15?
> > >

> > Please take a look at drivers/input/keyboard/corgikbd.c
> >

> What I meant we do use EV_SW in the drivers and so it sould be part
> of input_device_id. Nobody uses ffbit or sndbit either and still
> they are present...

Sure. BUT it will break current users. I'm suggesting we jerk that
field out for 2.6.15, and reintroduce it for >= 2.6.16, when we can (1)
ensure everyone has a fixed module-init tools, or (2) make sure everyone
is using the module alias stuff, or both.

It seems the simplest solution, surely?
Rusty.
--
A bad analogy is like a leaky screwdriver -- Richard Braakman