Re: RFC: Starting a stable kernel series off the 2.6 kernel

From: Arjan van de Ven
Date: Sun Dec 04 2005 - 11:41:32 EST

On Sun, 2005-12-04 at 17:11 +0100, Matthias Andree wrote:
> On Sun, 04 Dec 2005, Arjan van de Ven wrote:
>
> > On Sun, 2005-12-04 at 15:57 +0100, M. wrote:
> >

> > > if distros would align on those 6months versions those less
> > > experienced users would get 5 years support on those kernels.
> >
> > no distro gives 5 years of support for a kernel done every 6 months;
> > they start such projects more like every 18 to 24 months (SuSE used to
> > do it a bit more frequently but it seems they also slowed this down).
>
> SUSE end-user distros (SUSE LINUX <version>) are released every 6 months
> or so, and are supported for 24 months. Their "enterprise server" is
> supported for 60 months though, SLES 9 forked off 9.1.

sure.. but they don't add new hw support really, and I'd not be
surprised if they rebase to a newer upstream kernel after a while. I
know we did that for RHL, eg RHL 7.(Y-1) got the kernel of RHL7.Y after
RHL7.Y was released, not only to keep the maintenance down, but more so
to get all the bugfixes and hardware support out to customers.