Re: RFC: Starting a stable kernel series off the 2.6 kernel

From: Greg KH
Date: Sun Dec 04 2005 - 18:25:19 EST

On Sun, Dec 04, 2005 at 12:56:50PM +0100, Matthias Andree wrote:
> The problem is the upstream breaking backwards compatibility for no good
> reason. This can sometimes be a genuine unintended regression (aka.
> bug), but quite often this is deliberate breakage because someone wants
> to get rid of cruft. While the motivation is sound, breaking between
> 2.6.N and 2.6.M must stop.

What are we breaking that people are complaining so much about?
Specifics please.

And if you bring up udev, please see my previous comments in this thread
about that issue.

It isn't userspace stuff that is breaking, as applications built on 2.2
still work just fine here on 2.6 for me.

Yes we break in-kernel apis, all the time, that's fine. See
Documentation/stable-api-nonsense.txt for details about why we do that.

So again, specifics please?

thanks,

greg k-h