Re: RFC: Starting a stable kernel series off the 2.6 kernel

From: Rob Landley
Date: Mon Dec 05 2005 - 11:03:04 EST

On Saturday 03 December 2005 11:53, Adrian Bunk wrote:
> On Sat, Dec 03, 2005 at 05:17:41PM +0000, David Ranson wrote:
> > Steven Rostedt wrote:
> > >udev ;)
> > >
> > >http://seclists.org/lists/linux-kernel/2005/Dec/0180.html
> >
> > Ahh OK .. I don't use it, so wouldn't have been affected. That's one
> > userspace interface broken during the series, does anyone have any more?
>
> - support for ipfwadm and ipchains was removed during 2.6
> - devfs support was removed during 2.6
> - removal of kernel support for pcmcia-cs is pending
> - ip{,6}_queue removal is pending
> - removal of the RAW driver is pending

So what you're upset about is the feature removal scheduling mechanism, which
usually gives a full year's warning, and the removal patch can be reversed
into a feature addition patch you can maintain outside the tree if you really
care?

Rob
--
Steve Ballmer: Innovation! Inigo Montoya: You keep using that word.