Re: Broadcom 43xx first results

From: Michael Renzmann
Date: Mon Dec 05 2005 - 13:14:28 EST

Hi.

On Mon, 2005-12-05 at 19:00 +0100, Jiri Benc wrote:
> Why yet another attempt to write 802.11 stack? Sure, the one currently
> in the kernel is unusable and everybody knows about it. But why not to
> improve code opensourced by Devicescape some time ago instead of
> inventing the wheel again and again?

Or, in case there is some unknown objection to the mentioned code: use
the 802.11 stack that comes along with MadWifi, which provides things
like virtual interfaces (for multiple SSID support on one physical card)
and WPA support.

Although I'm a bit biased towards MadWifi, I'd second your suggestion to
make use of the Devicescape code. The benefit of having a fully-blown
802.11 stack in the kernel that drivers can make use of has been
discussed before, so I won't go into that yet again.

Bye, Mike