Re: Linux in a binary world... a doomsday scenario

From: Tim Bird
Date: Mon Dec 05 2005 - 18:55:51 EST

David Woodhouse wrote:
> I think it's time to recognise that there's no difference in licensing
> terms between EXPORT_SYMBOL() and EXPORT_SYMBOL_GPL().

I disagree. I think that has long since become the intent
of EXPORT_SYMBOL_GPL().

If the GPL covers interface linkages (whether static or
dynamic) then EXPORT_SYMBOL_GPL is redundant. If it does
not, in all cases, then EXPORT_SYMBOL_GPL is, as
an extension to GPL, therefore a GPL violation.

I believe there are cases where an interface could
be deemed not coverable by the GPL. Putting
EXPORT_SYMBOL_GPL around it would be an attempt
to extend GPL to where it otherwise might not reach.

DISCLAIMER: I'm not speaking for Sony here. Personally
I don't believe that most drivers are derivative works
of the operating systems they run with, and I don't
believe it helps Linux to assert that they are.
But, hey, it's not my kernel, and not my plan for
world domination. ;-)

To the larger argument about supporting binary drivers,
all Arjan manages to prove with his post is that,
if handled in the worst possible way, support for
binary drivers would be a disaster. Who can disagree
with that?

(I'm really not trolling or trying to start a flame
war here. It's just my 2 cents.)

Regards,
-- Tim