Re: Linux in a binary world... a doomsday scenario

From: Tim Bird
Date: Mon Dec 05 2005 - 19:23:19 EST

Dave Airlie wrote:
>>To the larger argument about supporting binary drivers,
>>all Arjan manages to prove with his post is that,
>>if handled in the worst possible way, support for
>>binary drivers would be a disaster. Who can disagree
>>with that?
>>
> And do you think that given the opportunity, any company is going
> spend the extra money required to not do it in the worst possible
> way??

I meant "handled in the worst possible way by
the kernel developers". It *is* possible to define
stable APIs and have them used successfully.

POSIX is not the greatest example, but it seems
to work OK. I realize that drivers are more
tightly bound to the kernel than are libraries
or applications, but sheesh, this is not rocket
science.