Re: swsusp performance problems in 2.6.15-rc3-mm1

From: Nigel Cunningham
Date: Mon Dec 05 2005 - 20:31:19 EST

Hi.

On Tue, 2005-12-06 at 09:34, Pavel Machek wrote:
> > > If goal is "make it work with least effort", answer is of course
> > > suspend2; but I need someone to help me doing it right.
> >
> > How do you think suspend2 does it wrong? Is it just that you think that
> > everything belongs in userspace, or is there more to it?
>
> Everything belongs in userspace... that makes it "wrong
> enough". Userland and kernel programming is quite different, so any
> improvements to suspend2 will be wasted, long-term. You'll make users
> happy for now, but it means u-swsusp gets less users and less
> developers, making "doing it right" slightly harder...

Ok. I guess I need help then in seeing why everything belongs in
userspace. Actually, let's revise that for a start - I know you don't
really mean everything, because even you still do the atomic copy in
kernel space... or are you planning on changing that too? :)

I'm not unwilling to be convinced - I just don't see why, with such a
lowlevel operation as suspending to disk, userspace is the place to put
everything. The preference for userspace seems to me to be just that - a
preference.

Regarding improvements to suspend2 being wasted long term, I actually
think that I could port at least part of it to userspace without too
much effort at all. My main concern would be exporting the information
and interfaces needed in a way that isn't ugly, is reliable and doesn't
open security holes. I'm not at all convinced that kmem meets those
criteria. But if you can show me a better way, I'll happily come on
board.

Regards,

Nigel