Re: RFC: Starting a stable kernel series off the 2.6 kernel

From: John Kelly
Date: Mon Dec 05 2005 - 23:20:20 EST

On 12/3/05, Adrian Bunk <bunk@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Since Andrew and Linus do AFAIK not plan to change the development
> model, what about the following for getting a stable kernel series
> without leaving the current development model:

> Kernel 2.6.16 will be the base for a stable series.

Or just wait for a "good" one, whatever number that happens to be.

I believe Linus current development model is better than the old way,
because it keeps the kernel moving ahead. But like you say, it's hard
on users.

My "distro" can't help me because I don't use a "distro." There are
plenty of users rolling their own, via linuxfromscratch, diy-linux, or
some other alternative.

We would benefit from your proposal.