Re: RFC: Starting a stable kernel series off the 2.6 kernel

From: Bill Davidsen
Date: Tue Dec 06 2005 - 12:01:24 EST

Lee Revell wrote:
On Mon, 2005-12-05 at 11:17 -0500, Mark Lord wrote:

Ahh OK .. I don't use it, so wouldn't have been affected. That's one
userspace interface broken during the series, does anyone have any more?

Ah.. another one, that I was just reminded of again
by the umpteenth person posting that their wireless
no longer is WPA capable after upgrading from 2.6.12.

Of course, the known solution for that issue is to
upgrade to the recently "fixed" latest wpa_supplicant
daemon in userspace, since the old one no longer works.

Things like this are all too regular an occurance.

The distro should have solved this problem by making sure that the
kernel upgrade depends on a new wpa_supplicant package. Don't they
bother to test this stuff before they ship it?!?

Could you provide a little detail on the technology by which a distro checks for functionality against a kernel which wasn't necessarily released when the distro shipped. My udev doesn't generate /dev/timewarp.

Going to a new kernel in the same series shouldn't have to be treated as if it were a change to a whole new operating system, and shouldn't require completely replacing existing utilities with new ones which aren't backware compatible to allow fallback to the original kernel.

--
-bill davidsen (davidsen@xxxxxxx)