Re: Linux in a binary world... a doomsday scenario

From: Jon Masters
Date: Tue Dec 06 2005 - 12:03:04 EST

On 12/5/05, Pekka Enberg <penberg@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> I know I have become a very disappointed ATI
> customer after figuring out that they have zero interest in me using
> the hardware I paid for on Linux...

I remember calling up ATI and speaking to the CEO's secretary back in
the late 1990s. They'd just started to help out the GATOS guys a
little back then and I decided that they cared more than Nvidia do
about Linux so I would continue to buy only ATI cards. The ATI/Nvidia
thing even determined which model of Powerbook I would buy (since the
12" model had an Nvidia chipset).

Now I'm just disgusted with them. I understand exactly why they've
done what they have, but it's very uncool. People should call them up
and ask them to reconsider their actions. Question: who can I pay
money to for graphics cards that don't have hobbled drivers?

Jon.

P.S. I'm not just being anti-ATI. There are many others who are far
far worse - but we need good vendor support for graphics now more than
we ever did if more people are going to enjoy a good desktop
experience when using Linux.