Re: ntp problems

From: Gene Heskett
Date: Tue Dec 06 2005 - 16:23:49 EST

On Tuesday 06 December 2005 14:02, Gene Heskett wrote:

>>> I've already put more powerdown cycles (60 some) on my hard drives
>>> fighting with the recent tv card problem, I'd like to get some
>>> uptime in. All I know for sure is if I build 2.6.15-rc5 with acpi,
>>> ntpd doesn't work. ntpdate does, but ntpd doesn't. And both dmesg
>>> and the ntp.log (and -d's passed at launch time do not make it more
>>> verbose, they just keep it from starting) are silent as to the diffs
>>> other than the interrupt number shuffling in dmesg when its on. But
>>> I suspect it may have started with 2.6.15-rc2, and I didn't build
>>> rc1. And I *think* it worked as recently as 2.6.14.1 with it turned
>>> on. I've cleaned house in /usr/src's so I don't have anything
>>> older. Sorry.
>>
>>I have to agree with John Stultz. I am one with a nForce2 chipset
>> where updating to the latest BIOS have totaly solved the excatly same
>> ntpd problem.
>
>Problems: I went and got a newer bios, for a Biostar N7NCD-Pro, put it
>on a floppy and rebooted. Going into the bios I chose to update it as
>that is part of the existing bios, no awardflash.exe needed according
> to the propaganda. But the bios can't find it on the floppy.
>
>Or do I still need awardflash.exe on the floppy too? I'll put it there
>and try again.
>------
>Several reboots later, I still haven't managed to get it updated.
>
>The first problem was that the builtin bios flasher couldn't find the
>file on the floppy, presumably because while vfat shows the correct
> name of ncdp1102bf.exe, a dos boot or compatible dir util can't see it
> as anything but ncdp11~1.exe. So I put their latest awdflash.exe on
> the disk too. Same deal except I had it save the old bios as
> oldbios.exe, and it can see that, but not the new file until I renamed
> it to something short enough for an idiot dos, ncdpbf.exe.
>
>So, having arrived as a dos compatible name, I tried again, but now its
>bitching about a file size error and still refuses to do the update
>using their instructions to recover a bad update. And the builtin bios
>flasher still can't see the shortened name. I don't see a filesize
>error in the ls -l's below either.
>
>An ls -l on that floppy shows:
>[root@coyote root]# ls -l /mnt/floppy
>total 563
>-rwxr-xr-x 1 root root 47916 Dec 6 13:23 awdflash.exe
>-rwxr-xr-x 1 root root 266240 Dec 6 13:24 ncdpbf.exe
>-rwxr-xr-x 1 root root 262144 Dec 6 2005 oldbios.exe
>

>An ls -l on the /dos dir of my hd, grepped for ncdp:
>-rwxr-xr-x 1 root root 266240 Sep 16 2004 ncdp0730bf.exe
>-rwxr-xr-x 1 root root 266240 Dec 6 12:10 ncdp1102bf.exe
>
>The ncdp0730bf.exe is the file thats in the bios now, and which was
> then saved using the awdflash.exe as oldbios.exe thats on that disk
> now. FWIW, awdflash.exe CAN see the oldbios.exe file just fine. I
> have now downloaded the new one twice from biostar.com.tw.
>
>Has anyone got a clue as to what the heck is wrong here?

Well, it turns out I was the one without a clue, I was downloading the
bios images from biostar.com.tw, which are NOT apparently correct. On a
hunch, I specifically went to the usa1.biostar.com site, and found there
was a different file posted there for my M7NCD-pro board.

That one installed without any hiccups, but I saw where the sign-on said
it was DDR400 dual channel ram, whereas before the update it was DDR333
dual channel ram. As the XP2800 athlon isn't rated for DDR400, I backed
into the bios and reset the fsb for 166 mhz which should give me a 333
fsb. But it still says DDR400 at signon. So I guess we'll see if its
now stable at a 400 mhz fsb even if its set to 166/333.

dmesg says its running the cpu at 2080mhz, which is normal.

Has anyone else observed this and care to comment?

--
Cheers, Gene
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)