Re: ntp problems

From: Gene Heskett
Date: Wed Dec 07 2005 - 01:08:42 EST

On Wednesday 07 December 2005 00:14, Kyle Moffett wrote:
>On Dec 06, 2005, at 16:22, Gene Heskett wrote:
>> That one installed without any hiccups, but I saw where the sign-on
>> said it was DDR400 dual channel ram, whereas before the update it
>> was DDR333 dual channel ram. As the XP2800 athlon isn't rated for
>> DDR400, I backed into the bios and reset the fsb for 166 mhz which
>> should give me a 333
>> fsb. But it still says DDR400 at signon. So I guess we'll see if
>> its now stable at a 400 mhz fsb even if its set to 166/333.
>
>Hmm, this sounds a lot like the BIOS insanity we saw on one cheapo
>Chaintech board. We knew it was bad when the thing reported in its
>boot display that the CPU was an "Intel Athlon". Things only got
>worse from there; but sadly there was no BIOS update, and we ended up
>throwing away the $35 board just on general principles :-D.

Thats been my impression of anything wearing a chaintech label, and I
cannot pin a reason on it, just 71 years of experience. Is that good
enough? Dunno Kyle, but when shopping for a mobo, the chaintech stuff
has always been bypassed. Some of the tech reports seem to say they're
ok though. Another example of YMMV I guess.

Anyway, I did finally get the bios to stop running the memory faster than
an XP2800, rated at DDR333 can do. So after a couple of hard crashes,
it seems to be back among the living. I had to use the expert group of
settings though, & me not an expert, not 50 miles from home, nor am I
carrying a briefcase as I once heard an expert described.

And, acpi is on, and ntpd is happy with the new bios. Hurrah!

--
Cheers, Gene
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)