Re: Broadcom 43xx first results

From: Harald Welte
Date: Wed Dec 07 2005 - 01:31:22 EST

On Tue, Dec 06, 2005 at 02:05:07PM -0500, Jeff Garzik wrote:
> Harald Welte wrote:
> >I also think that there is a lack of knowledge on the architecture of
> >802.11 low-level protocols and drivers among many people (including
> >myself) in the network community. Only this way I can explain why there
> >are always people who claim that the kernel already has a 802.11
> >'stack'.
>
> This last sentence, regardless of the source, is simply playing with words.

I don't think that having clear definitions of certain terms is playing
with words. I don't neccessarily care which words are used, but it's
always useful to have common, well-defined terminology.

I also wouldn't call the TCP code a stack, if it hadn't all the state
engine in it.

> We have 802.11 common code in the kernel, that several drivers are
> using.

Yes.

> Future drivers should modify that common code to suit their
> needs, rather than dropping it and starting from scratch.

I did not state that it has to be replaced. I'm much in favour of
gradual changes myself.

--
- Harald Welte <laforge@xxxxxxxxxxxx> http://gnumonks.org/
(ETSI EN 300 175-7 Ch. A6)