Re: Broadcom 43xx first results

From: Jouni Malinen
Date: Wed Dec 07 2005 - 14:47:35 EST

On Wed, Dec 07, 2005 at 11:16:22AM -0800, Jean Tourrilhes wrote:

> Well, the burning question is : Is it possible to include your
> Atheros driver in the Linux kernel ? Meaning, will it be released, and
> will it contain a binary blob ?

If that were possible, it would have been released with the IEEE 802.11
code. It has the same issue as madwifi in the sense of depending on
Atheros hal code.

> Not cool. I usually don't like wrapper, but would it be
> possible to wrap the IPW API around DeviceScape ?

I would not even like to think about that.. ;-) I think we are in a
position where we are way more willing to change things than try to
maintain current interfaces in backwards compatible ways.

> > Prism2/2.5/3 is getting somewhat old nowadays and I certainly prefer

> It's old, but because it's the only current card properly
> supported under Linux, most people are still using it. And you have
> many original Prism2 designs that you can't find with other chipset,
> such as the high power version and the CF cards.

Agreed and as such, it is still on my list of things to maintain.
However, this certainly means that it is likely to be of lower priority
than some of the newer chipsets.

--
Jouni Malinen PGP id EFC895FA