Re: Linux in a binary world... a doomsday scenario

From: Geert Uytterhoeven
Date: Wed Dec 07 2005 - 14:52:45 EST

On Wed, 7 Dec 2005, Arjan van de Ven wrote:
> > Such lists could tell us not only which devices work (are
> > supported with open source drivers) but also which devices
> > are not supported and hence may need attention.
> >
> > There has been some discussion about OSDL attempting to do this.
>
> the biggest pitfal by having this done by a commercial entity or an
> entity with commercial funding is that there is a LOT of pressure to
> call things with binary drivers also certified/working.
> It has to be an entity that can resist that pressure; if OSDL can,
> great. But their funding is partially from sources that will try to put
> that pressure on I suspect...
> So I would almost rather have a separate "kicked off and supported by
> OSDL" organisation with its own charter than have OSDL do it itself. I
> can imagine OSDL feeling the same as well ...

What about linux/Documentation/, which is maintained by us (as in `the
community', not by `commercial entity that can be pressured')?

At least for a `positive' lists it's not that difficult: if the driver is in
the tree, just add the supported hardware to the list in linux/Documentation/.

Whether we want to put a `negative' list there as well is another question.
Perhaps some form of `to do' or `drivers wanted' list?

Gr{oetje,eeting}s,

Geert

-- Linus Torvalds