Re: wrong number of serial port detected

From: Russell King
Date: Wed Dec 07 2005 - 16:38:22 EST

On Wed, Dec 07, 2005 at 09:31:28PM +0000, Russell King wrote:
> On Wed, Dec 07, 2005 at 10:28:05PM +0100, Xavier Bestel wrote:
> > Le mercredi 07 d?cembre 2005 ? 21:15 +0000, Russell King a ?crit :
> >
> > > 4. User tries the well documented "setserial /dev/ttyS2 port 0x220 irq 5"
> > > procedure, which has been supported since Linux 1.x
> > >
> > > 5. User finds that, because there is no ttyS2 device in /dev, they
> > > can't configure their card.
> >
> > Well, instead of polluting everybody's /dev for the 3 users having such
> > cards, why not just tell the user to run
> > MAKEDEV /dev/ttyS2 ; setserial /dev/ttyS2 port 0x220 irq 5
> > instead ? (Or even mknod)
>
> Oh sorry. Mail me your root password and IP address, let me log in
> to your system, and I'll remove those device nodes right now. Thanks
> for pointing that out.
>
> Seriously, surely you aren't suggesting that I somehow have personal
> control over this?

Additionally, if you have a problem with this, the total number of
ports _is_ kernel configurable.

So if you're getting 32 ports from a distro targetted at the current
range of consumer hardware which commonly has maybe 1 or 2 and
possibly a modem card (iow probably max 4 ports), please take it up
with them.

--
Russell King
maintainer of: 2.6 Serial core