Re: RFC: Starting a stable kernel series off the 2.6 kernel

From: Nix
Date: Wed Dec 07 2005 - 16:45:29 EST

On 6 Dec 2005, Rob Landley moaned:
> On Saturday 03 December 2005 17:35, Chris Wright wrote:
>> relevant. About the only thing I think is helpful in this case is perhaps
>> one extra -stable cycle on the last branch when newest branch is released
>> (basically flush the queue). That much I'm willing to do in -stable.
>
> Yay rah cool!

Seconded (thirded?), this is a very good idea (and as it's just a queue
flush is probably quite easy to do).

That way those of us who are paranoid can upgrade our experimental boxes
immediately, apply the latest -stable to the non-experimental boxes, and
then cautiously upgrade those boxes when the experimental ones seem to
be working OK. Currently whenever there's a non-stable kernel rev I'm
filled with trepidation: do I upgrade the stable boxes and risk
instability, or leave them as they are and risk insecurity?

--
`Y'know, London's nice at this time of year. If you like your cities
freezing cold and full of surly gits.' --- David Damerell