Re: Runs with Linux (tm)

From: Richard Knutsson
Date: Wed Dec 07 2005 - 21:02:03 EST

Benjamin LaHaise wrote:

On Tue, Dec 06, 2005 at 04:41:44PM +0000, Dirk Steuwer wrote:

Yes, but there isn't and won't be much recognition - every company does its own thing. And how many people buy online all the time? But even then, a genery "runs with Linux" Logo would be great. If a company's product is not certified, its not considered by Linux customers.

This is something I've wanted to see for years now. Linux distributions do not have the motivation to work out the hardware certification issues on the community level, as it interferes with their value add of branding. I have always wished that when I see hardware advertising Linux support that it has a meaning: open source, supportable drivers. Maybe it's time to get such a project moving.

-ben
-

Hi

I understand this as a logical answer to "Designed for Windows", but is it really what we want?

After all, "Runs with Linux" (or such) does not, by it self, speak about closed drivers. Also, it will only attract Linux-users toward a goal everyone would gain from: maintainable drivers after "expiration" date. Why not something more of "Runs on Open Drivers", which also gives us a chance to "teach" people why to use an open OS without the replies:
"Windows is pretty" (actually, it was a guy who told me that)
"It is difficult (to learn new stuff)"
etc..
Even in the short run (we _will_ have world-domination someday ;) ) I think such an approach is more beneficial because we can gather force from *BSD, Solaris and (even) Windows-users as well.

Well, just an idea...

/Richard Knutsson