Re: wrong number of serial port detected

From: Jason Dravet
Date: Wed Dec 07 2005 - 22:02:13 EST

From: Russell King <rmk+lkml@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
To: Jason Dravet <dravet@xxxxxxxxxxx>
CC: linux-kernel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: wrong number of serial port detected
Date: Wed, 7 Dec 2005 21:15:51 +0000

On Wed, Dec 07, 2005 at 01:59:43PM -0600, Jason Dravet wrote:
> >From: Russell King <rmk+lkml@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
> >To: Jason Dravet <dravet@xxxxxxxxxxx>
> >CC: linux-kernel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
> >Subject: Re: wrong number of serial port detected
> >Date: Wed, 7 Dec 2005 15:50:34 +0000
> >
> >On Wed, Dec 07, 2005 at 09:44:29AM -0600, Jason Dravet wrote:
> >> So I ask this mailing list Can the kernel detect the proper number of
> >> serial ports or not?
> >
> >It does detect serial ports found in the machine.
> >
> >However, it _always_ offers the configured number of serial devices.
> >This is to allow folk whose ports are not autodetected to configure
> >them appropriately via the setserial command. If they were not
> >available, they could not configure them.
> >
> Then may I ask how XP does it? I have to dual boot between XP and Fedora.
> When I go into XP's device manager I see all of the appropriate hardware
> listed, no extra serial ports. When I boot into Fedora and go into /dev, I
> see the same hardware except I have 32 serial ports and 64 tty nodes (tty
> is for virtual terminals right?). How can 1 OS show the correct number and
> another show the wrong number? I ask so I can better understand what is
> going on.

It seems you are comparing apples (XP's device manager) with oranges
(/dev directory). They're two entirely different things.

The former lists devices which _are_ present in your system.

The latter provides the filesystem namespace for applications to access
devices which may or may not be present in your system.

I thought the purpose of udev was to create device manager like functionality. I posted my question here because udev is creating 32 nodes. Udev gets that information from the kernel serial port driver. Thanks to your explanation I now understand. This is why I ask questions so I can learn.

As for your 64 VT tty device nodes - these "devices" are created
dynamically when the device node is opened. The act of opening the
device node is defined to be the creation event. If the device node
did not exist, there would be no way to create _any_ virtual terminals.

I thought there were only 7 tty devices (Ctrl-F1 to Ctrl-F7) for local system login? Ctrl-F7 being for Xwindows. Did I miss something?

Thank you for taking the time to answer my questions. I really appreciate it.
Jason