Re: Linux in a binary world... a doomsday scenario

From: Helge Hafting
Date: Thu Dec 08 2005 - 03:10:35 EST

Luke-Jr wrote:

On Tuesday 06 December 2005 16:27, Simon Oosthoek wrote:

Arjan van de Ven wrote:

On Mon, 2005-12-05 at 18:26 +0000, Andrew Walrond wrote:

On Monday 05 December 2005 10:52, Arjan van de Ven wrote:

a hypothetical doomsday scenario by Arjan van de Ven

Can I ask what prompted your post?

I got one too many hatemails from a "nvidia fanboy" who blamed me for
just about anything wrong in the world.... I fear that most of these
people have no idea why open source drivers matter, or at least what the
consequences are for not caring about drivers being open or not.

I use nvidia cards, mostly because they work better than an alternative
for now, but every time I need a card I look for stuff that is more
open, because I hate to have to use the non-free closed stuff to do
graphics. (Having no real choice in this is really annoying to me!)

The ATi Radeon 9200 works fine...

Lucky you. Mine doesn't. Using 3D on it makes the machine unstable,
and the performance is apalling too. So I'm looking for something
else - a radeon 7000 is cheap . . .

And don't say that a crash during a 3D game isn't important - it is
a two-user machine and the other user is not amused when this happens.

Helge Hafting