Re: [ACPI] Re: RFC: ACPI/scsi/libata integration and hotswap

From: Jeff Garzik
Date: Thu Dec 08 2005 - 09:14:21 EST

Alan Cox wrote:
On Iau, 2005-12-08 at 08:52 -0500, Jeff Garzik wrote:

On Thu, Dec 08, 2005 at 01:39:45PM +0000, Matthew Garrett wrote:

On Thu, Dec 08, 2005 at 01:33:08PM +0000, Christoph Hellwig wrote:

Don't do it at all. We don't need to fuck up every layer and driver for
intels braindamage.

Doing SATA suspend/resume properly on x86 depends on knowing the ACPI object that corresponds to a host or target.

Not true.

Actually he is right. You have to know the ACPI object in order to run
the _GTM/_STM etc functions. If you don't run those your suspend/resume

These are only for PATA. We don't care about _GTM/_STM on SATA.

Further, SATA completely resets and re-initializes the device as if from a hardware reset (except on ata_piix, which doesn't support COMRESET, and PATA). This makes _GTF uninteresting, as well.

may not work, may corrupt and so on. The only safe alternative is to
disable acpi which, while it would have been a good idea before the spec
ever got out, is a bit late now.

suspend/resume works just fine with Jens' out-of-tree patch.

If you don't run the resume methods your disk subsystem status after a
resume is simply undefined and unsafe.

I initialize the hardware to a defined state.

Jeff