Re: RFC: Starting a stable kernel series off the 2.6 kernel

From: Bill Davidsen
Date: Tue Dec 13 2005 - 14:48:55 EST

Horst von Brand wrote:
Matthias Andree <matthias.andree@xxxxxx> wrote:

On Sat, 03 Dec 2005, David Ranson wrote:

Adrian Bunk wrote:

- support for ipfwadm and ipchains was removed during 2.6

Surely this one had loads of notice though? I was using iptables with
2.4 kernels.

Sure had. They were scheduled for removal in march, 2005 a long time ago.

So was I. And now what? ipfwadm and ipchains should have been removed
from 2.6.0 if 2.6.0 was not to support these.

Or in 2.6.10, or 2.6.27, or whatever.

That opportunity was
missed, the removal wasn't made up for in 2.6.1, so the stuff has to
stick until 2.8.0.

Sorry, but the new development model is that there is no "uneven" series
anymore. Sure, it /might/ open for worldshattering changes, but nothing of
that sort is remotely in sight right now, so...

- devfs support was removed during 2.6

Did this affect many 'real' users?

This doesn't matter. A kernel that calls itself stable CAN NOT remove
features unless they had been critically broken from the beginning. And
this level of breakage is a moot point, so removal is not justified.

devfs was broken, and very little used.

Perhaps there is a cause and effect relationship? If devfs worked I don't see the need for every distro to have it's own udev (or mdev or sdev or whatever the flavor is this month).
--
-bill davidsen (davidsen@xxxxxxx)