Re: [patch 00/21] hrtimer - High-resolution timer subsystem

From: Kyle Moffett
Date: Wed Dec 14 2005 - 03:57:51 EST

On Dec 13, 2005, at 18:38, George Anzinger wrote:
I think that there is a miss understanding here. The kernel timers, at this time, do not know or care about daylight savings time. This is not really a clock set but a time zone change which does not intrude on the kernels notion of time (that being, more or less UTC).

One question I have right now is: How does the kernel treat time slewing? Sometimes I might want to say: "The clock has continuous error and measures 24hours and 2 seconds for every 24 hours of real time", in which case the monotonic time should be slewed -2sec/ 24hours. On the other hand, I might also want to say: "The clock has fixed error and is 2 hours ahead cause some dummy messed up the time", so I'm going to fix this over the next 2 weeks by slewing backwards 1 hour per 7 days, in which case I do _not_ want the monotonic time to be affected (I'm passing 2 days, not 1 day and 22 hours). How does the kernel handle this? I've never seen any good description of the NTP and time-control APIs; if there is one out there (that's not 42 pages of dry standard), I would love a link.

Cheers,
Kyle Moffett

--
If you don't believe that a case based on [nothing] could potentially drag on in court for _years_, then you have no business playing with the legal system at all.
-- Rob Landley